Premier Mike Baird says his government has been working with the chief scientist and will have more to say in the new year about the supply of medicinal cannabis.
In Newcastle on Monday, the Newcastle Herald asked Mr Baird how people were expected to take advantage of his compassionate use scheme for medicinal cannabis if police were busting the places that grew and supplied the medicinal products.
Referring to a recent bust in Newcastle, Mr Baird said: I was aware that there was police activity but, again, the police have worked with us very well and I need to understand the details of this particular incident. But certainly we are doing everything we can to provide more access for people in the safest possible way.
Hemp campaigner BJ Futter, who was served a warrant during the December 1 raid, said no-one had been arrested. He noted that another medicinal cannabis grower had been described by a Newcastle judge as doing a great job.
Mr Baird said he understood peoples concerns.
Weve got the chief scientist looking at the compassionate access scheme and we are working through a number of options to do that, both in supply and options for individuals that are looking for some support, Mr Baird said.
We will have more to say on that in the new year.